Established by Oakland University
Authorizing excellent schools is the focus of the Oakland University Office of Public School Academics. Their strategic priority is to ensure that each Academy provides a quality education to its students, utilizes sound governing policies and fulfills its fiscal and legal responsibilities. OU authorized its first charter school in October 1996 and since then have opened eight more charter schools, with a combined enrollment of almost 6,000 students in the Metro Detroit area.
Oakland University authorizes schools that complement its own mission and goals. Among those primary objectives are to:
- Educate a diverse body of students
- Maintain quality academic programs
- Develop/implement innovative instructional strategies and demonstrations of learning
- Increase community outreach and collaborations
- Engage in continuous planning and evaluation for self-assessment
For more information on Oakland University, and their charter school office, visit their website.